Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram
As many as 60 migrant brick kiln workers from Rajasthan have been left stranded for more than a month at a brick kiln in Kheda district as owners of the kiln allegedly dilly-dally in paying their wages for last six months. On the other hand,government labour officers have threatened to take legal action if the owners did not fulfil their commitment.
The trouble started on April 20 when owners of RC Bricks at Khumarvad village in Kheda taluka reportedly informed the labourers that their services were not required as the season of laying bricks was drawing to a closure. The labourers agreed and asked for payments of their wages amounting to Rs 13 lakh for the last six month that they had been working there.
However,the owners kept on delaying payments for a month. When we persisted,they threatened us of dire consequences. So we had no other way but to approach police and district collector on May 20, Dinaramji Bavri,a leader of the workers group from Kaldu and nearby village in Nagor district of Rajasthan said on Wednesday.
The leader further said they were not paid any expenses since April 20. The labourers have also lodged a complaint against the owners for allegedly issuing death threats.
After the workers staged a demonstration at the collector office in Nadiad,collector M V Pargi ordered labour officials to settle the issue immediately. Accordingly,Gajendra Dalvadi,assistant government labour officer (GLO) of Kheda and Matar talukas instructed Mukesh Makwana,Raju Makwana and their father Magan Makwana to pay wages to the labourers immediately.
As agreed on Friday,the owners paid Rs 3.20 lakh to the labourers as partial payment and committed that they would clear the remaining amount on Tuesday. However,on Tuesday he informed us that they had not managed the money and sough a days time. Now,today he told us that the labourers would have to wait till Saturday, the GLO,in whose presence the payment,was made said on Wednesday.
The GLO said the workers and the employers had entered into an agreement before starting work and he would take action if the owners did not honour their commitments.
We have already served a notice on RC Bricks asking if they were paying the workers according to the Minimum Wages Act. We shall go into the agreement and take action if found necessary, Dalwadi warned. Despite several attempts,the owners could not be reached for comments.
Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram