Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram
Authorities at Sanjay Gandhi National Park (SGNP) have finally initiated the process of upgrading the manual gates of the lion safari to mechanised gates,almost two years after a tribal worker,manning the safari gates,was killed by a lioness.
The parks director Sunil Limaye met with Hyderabad Zoo officials in November for their expertise on mechanical gates opened at a touch of a button. We have procured the design of the gates from the Hyderabad Zoo,but will get local technical experts to implement it, he said.
The process will include the strengthening as well as automisation of the two lion safari gates as well as the two tiger safari gates. The gates will be such that in the event of the buttons not working,due to a technical error,the gates could still be operated manually.
The design has been finalised and estimates were prepared after the consultation with the engineer of the Public Works Department. The tendering details will be finalised by first week of January and the tendering process will begin soon after. The gates will be ready before February 15, said Limaye.
After 45-year-old Harishchandra Gembal lost his life to lioness Shobha in April 2010,an upgrade to mechanised gates was proposed as the most important safety measure in an internal report. Gembal was mauled to death when he opened the manual inner gate of the safari to let a bus get into the buffer area and forgot to close it before opening the outer one. The lioness,meanwhile, entered from the open inner gate and attacked him.
The parks former director P N Munde had announced last year that the forest department had approved the proposal and that the gate installation work was scheduled for March this year. However,sources said the implementation was delayed due to doubts over the technical feasibility of gates as they could get jammed. There were also some monetary issues.
Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram