Premium
This is an archive article published on November 14, 2009

Inputs on Headley,but no clue on visit date

Though the city and rural police confirm that they have received inputs from central intelligence agencies about LeT terror suspects David Coleman Headley and Tahawwur Hussain Rana’s visit to Pune...

Though the city and rural police confirm that they have received inputs from central intelligence agencies about LeT terror suspects David Coleman Headley and Tahawwur Hussain Rana’s visit to Pune,they have no information on the possible date of such a recce by the duo.

On Friday,police said they had beefed up security around national defence establishments in the city,numbering around a dozen. Police have also started searches at hotels and lodges around the defence establishments and other strategic places in Pune. Deputy Commissioner of Police (special branch) Ravindra Sengaonkar confirmed that the police had received inputs about Headley from intelligence agencies. “We don’t know if Headley visited Pune or not. So far we don’t have any record of Headley. But we have certain inputs from intelligence agencies. So we have increased security around major defence establishments,” he told The Indian Express.

short article insert Pratap Dighavkar,SP (rural) said,“Some areas around the NDA is under the jurisdiction of rural police. Though we have not received any notification from the NDA,we have stepped up security around the academy. We have passed on instructions to all officers to be alert.”

Story continues below this ad

“Every angle with respect to Headley will be probed. Our special branch and security branch have started working in tandem. Searches are being conducted at hotels and lodges in the vicinity of NDA and other defence establishments,” he said.

Inspector Peter Lobo of the Pune unit of the state ATS said his department had not received any inputs about Headley or Rana.

The police admit the presence of terror links in Pune as has been borne out by the arrest of many such elements over the past couple of years.

No comment,says Chavan
In Delhi,CM Ashok Chavan today refused to comment on connection drawn between Mahesh Bhatt’s son Rahul and Headley,maintaining that investigations were still on. Asked if the government was giving clean chit to Rahul,Chavan said,“No,I am not giving any clean chit. Investigations are on. The police are looking into it.”


Click here to join Express Pune WhatsApp channel and get a curated list of our stories

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Loading Taboola...
Advertisement