Premium
This is an archive article published on July 23, 2008

Most-wanted Karadzic held after 13-yr hunt

Radovan Karadzic, one of the world’s most-wanted war criminals for his part in the massacre of nearly 8,000...

.

Radovan Karadzic, one of the world’s most-wanted war criminals for his part in the massacre of nearly 8,000 Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica in 1995, was arrested Monday in a raid that ended a 13-year hunt.

Serge Brammertz, the prosecutor of the UN war crimes tribunal in The Hague, hailed the arrest as an important step in bringing to justice the architect of Europe’s worst massacre since World War II. He said Karadzic, 63, the Bosnian Serb President during the war there between 1992 and 1995, would be transferred to The Hague in “due course.”

short article insert “This is a very important day for the victims who have waited for this arrest for over a decade,” Brammertz said. “It is also an important day for international justice because it clearly demonstrates that nobody is beyond the reach of the law and that sooner or later all fugitives will be brought to justice.”

Story continues below this ad

Karadzic’s place of arrest was not announced, but Serbian Government officials said Karadzic had been arrested by the Serbian secret police not far from Belgrade. Officials from President Boris Tadic’s office said Karadzic had appeared before an investigative judge at Serbia’s war crimes court, a prerequisite for his extradition to the Hague.

Karadzic, a nationalist hero among Serbian radicals and one of tribunal’s most-wanted criminals for more than a decade, is said to have eluded arrest so long by shaving his signature mane of wild gray hair and disguising himself in a brown cassock. His reported hide-outs included refurbished caves in the mountains of eastern Bosnia and Serbian orthodox monasteries. Stories circulated around Serbia that he had disguised himself as a priest. Prior to his political career, he was a medical doctor who worked as a psychiatrist in Sarajevo, Bosnia’s capital.

Hague and EU officials have long suspected that he was hiding in Serbia, and have pressed Belgrade to hand him over. The failure to arrest Karadzic and Ratko Mladic, the still-fugitive Bosnian Serb general also indicted on war crimes, long stood as a block to greater Serbian ties to the European Union after the wars in Bosnia and later Kosovo.

Richard Holbrooke, who brokered the agreements in Dayton, Ohio, to end the war in Bosnia in 1995 said: “Of the three most evil men of the Balkans, Milosevic, Karadzic, and Mladic, I thought Karadzic was the worst. The reason was that Karadzic was a real racist believer. Karadzic really enjoyed ordering the killing of Muslims whereas Milosevic was an opportunist.”

Story continues below this ad

Slobodan Milosevic, the former president of Serbia and supporter of Karadzic and Mladic, was arrested in 2001 and put on trial for war crimes in 2002. He died in 2006 before a verdict. Holbrooke said that despite the Karadzic’s arrest, Serbia’s responsibility is not over.

On Monday night after the arrest, armed police officers were deployed near the war crimes court in Belgrade, where about 50 nationalist supporters of Karadzic gathered, waving Serbian flags and chanting, “Save Serbia, and kill yourself Tadic.” Several protesters were arrested after attacking journalists.

Serbian officials said police were also dispatched to protect the US Embassy, which was set ablaze in February by a mob protesting Kosovo’s declaration of independence.

The arrest, more than a decade after Karadzic went into hiding, marks the culmination of a long and protracted effort by the West to press Serbia to arrest Karadzic for the massacres at the southeastern Bosnian town of Srebrenica, what is widely considered the most heinous crime committed during the Balkan wars. It came just weeks after a new pro-Western coalition Government in Serbia was formed whose overriding goal is to bring Serbia into the EU, the world’s biggest trading bloc. The EU has made delivering indicted war criminals to The Hague a precondition for Serbia’s membership.

Story continues below this ad

The UN war crimes tribunal in The Hague indicted the former leader on July 24, 1995, just days after the killing of nearly 8,000 Bosnian Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica, a UN-protected enclave, which was overrun by Bosnian Serb military and police.

Karadzic is also charged by the UN war crimes tribunal with responsibility for the shelling and sniping of civilians in Sarajevo, during the 43 month siege of the city, which led to the killing and wounding of thousands, including many women and children. The Hague’s indictment charges that Karadic committed genocide, persecutions and other crimes. Charges say that forces under Karadzic’s command killed, tortured, mistreated, and sexually assaulted non-Serbs in these camps.

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement