
Senior cop alleges threat to life from Sainik
Special Inspector General of Police, B N Mishra, who is State Director of Vigilance and Security for the MSEB, recently lodged a complaint with Commissioner of Police R H Mendonca alleging a threat to his life from a Shiv Sainik.
In the complaint, lodged on February 19, Mishra has stated: “I fear for my life … It will be difficult for officials to function if they are pressurised in this way.” Mendonca said investigations were on in the case.
On February 15, the MSEB’s Vashi squad found that power worth Rs 88,16,824 had been stolen. It was suspected that M/s Adarsh Industries, a unit manufacturing syringes at MIDC, Taloje, near Panvel had pilfered power by tampering with the power metre. Mishra received a call the next day from Ganpat Kadam, a Sena appointee on the board asking him not to lodge a complaint against Sanjay Kapoor, the unit’s owner. However, a complaint was lodged and power supply to the plant disconnected. Kadam then allegedlycalled Mishra, saying, “Hum kisiko bar bar maska nahin lagatein. Yaad rakho ki hamari sarkar hai aur ham chahe to tumko tapka sakte hai.” Kadam claimed that Mishra was exaggerating’. “I called Mishra to say power supply to the plant should not be disconnected as it would cause Kapoor huge losses,” he said. “When I heard that power had been disconnected despite this, I called Mishra and told him I would ensure that he was sent packing.”Cops rescue sex workers
Fifteen sex workers, including eight minors, were rescued in raids by the police from Pilla House, central Mumbai late on Sunday night. The sex workers have been send to protective homes, and will be escorted to their houses after permission is obtained from the court, said DCP (zone II) Dr K Venkatnesham. He said the raids are part of a six-point plan launched recently by the local police to prevent child prostitution and trafficking of women and arrest procurers and pimps.
In another incident last evening, a ST busconductor A P Ketre helped the police rescue a girl who had been brought from a district in Marathawada.
Stolen garments recovered
The Kalachowkie police have recovered stolen readymade garments worth Rs 37.61 lakh and arrested an employee of the garment’s firm recently. Said OP Jedhia, senior PI, Kalachowkie police station, the cloth was being stored in the company’s godown at Kalachowkie and supplied to mills in the area. When the company officials visited the godown for a consignment, they found the place empty and registered a case of robbery. Investigations revealed that one employee, Vilas Balkrishna Chalke (40), had been missing for some days. The investigations were conducted under the supervision of DCP (zone 3), Sunil Paraskar and ACP J Walawalkar.
Judge rejects discharge plea
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate K H Holambe-Patil today rejected the discharge applications of models Milind Soman, Madhu Sapre and six others in the Tuff shoes advertisement case. AdvocatesLaxman Kanal, Abad Ponda, M K Thakori and Sanjyog Parab appeared for the accused. The matter has been adjourned to April 19 for recording of pleas.




