Premium
This is an archive article published on January 27, 2008

Spain arrests: ‘Attacks planned across Europe’

Islamist extremists were planning attacks across Europe, especially against public transport, before their arrests in Barcelona...

.

Islamist extremists were planning attacks across Europe, especially against public transport, before their arrests in Barcelona last weekend, a Spanish newspaper reported on Saturday, citing a would-be attacker’s testimony.

The Al Qaeda-inspired cell planned to attack the Barcelona Metro and other targets in Spain, Germany, France, Portugal and the United Kingdom, said the bomber turned police informer.

In testimony that led to the arrest of 14 South Asians last Saturday, the informer told police the group planned attacks on public transport, especially metro systems, El Pais newspaper reported. He said that a fellow suicide bomber told him that if they attack the metro, the emergency services can’t get there.

Story continues below this ad

Two pairs with explosive-filled bags were to enter separate Barcelona subway stations and other members of the group were to detonate the bombs by remote control, said the witness.

The Government of Spain on Friday said the Barcelona cell was preparing to carry out the metro attack either last weekend or in the following 15 days.

Two other pairs of suicide bombers had been assigned targets elsewhere in Spain, another was to attack

Germany, three were given objectives in France and two more were to strike Portugal.

Story continues below this ad

The informer said the Barcelona cell had six suicide bombers and other members responsible for preparing explosives and planning attacks in other European states. Four of those arrested have since been released due to lack of evidence.

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement