
The Badminton Association of India (BAI) went ahead with selection trials here on Sunday for the Sudirman Cup in the absence of Chetan Anand, wife Jwala Gutta and Shruti Kurien.Trials were held for reserve singles and women’s doubles.
On the first day, up-and-coming players P Kashyap, Ajay Jayaram, Sagar Chopra, Rohan Castelino and Ravindra Singh participated in men’s singles. Asked if all other senior players were attending the trials, Punniah Choudhary, joint secretary of the BAI, said most players, barring the three “rebels” had informed or sought permission to skip the elite camp. “Anup (Sridhar), V Diju, Trupti and Anand Pawar have informed us of their problems,” said Choudhary. Interestingly, most of the seniors players have not reported for the camp so far.




